What is it?
City Life is a relational, holistic, community based ministry that desires to see deep change in West Bremerton. Through intentional relationship and by raising up leaders from among the community, we bring the redemptive message of Jesus Christ to youth and their families, schools and neighborhoods.
Empower urban youth to change their community for Christ.
How do we do it?
- By keeping a tight neighborhood focus.
- By doing relational, holistic ministry with a critical mass of youth from that neighborhood.
- By raising indigenous leaders who don’t move out, but stay and give back.
Since 2008, The National City Life Leadership Team began implementing a strategic plan in order to better resource those on the field doing urban youth ministry. Our vision is that together we will be able to facilitate stronger holistic, relational evangelism of urban youth and to assist those on the field to raise indigenous leaders from their City Life ministry.
In December 2010, West Sound YFC formally launched our City Life Ministry, targeting the urban community of West Bremerton (the area surrounding Bremerton High School, Olympic College and Naval Elementary). We are excited to see how God is changing this community. To God be the glory!
City Life Timeline
The City Life core ministry model has its roots in a rich history of YFC desiring to reach high-risk youth. Lifeline ministries launched this passion through camps and trips, but when the model evolved to a year round ministry it was called Youth Guidance. Youth Guidance focused primarily on youth in systems and staff saw there was the need to develop a ministry model that worked with young people in urban communities before they might become incarcerated. Urban Ministries and then City Life was born!
- 1944 - Youth for Christ Begins
- 1948 - Saturday Night Youth Rallies Begin
- 1958 - Bible Clubs Begin
- 1963 - Lifeline Summer Camps Begin
- 1965 - Lifeline Ministries Begin Year-round
- 1972 - First Youth Guidance Operations Manual
- 1977 - First National Urban Division Field Staff Director Appointed
- 1999 - Urban Ministries name changed to City Life